Nintendo Returns To Virtual Reality With Nintendo Labo VR In Aprilon March 7, 2019 by Reuben Mount
We knew it would only be a matter of time, and suspected that Nintendo’s cardboard construction concept would be where it would come from; but, Nintendo have entered the virtual reality race (again) with what is essentially Nintendo Labo VR.
That’s right, Nintendo have announced Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit for Switch, which combines the physical and digital gameplay of Nintendo Labo with basic virtual reality technology to create simple and shareable virtual reality experiences.
The $39.99 “Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit – Starter Set + Blaster” and complete $79.99 “Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit” will be available in stores in the United States and the UK on April 12th. If you get the “Starter Set”, there will be two expansion sets priced at $19.99 each will be sold exclusively at Nintendo.com.
Here is an overview of the kit, via Nintendo:
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit offers six new Toy-Con creations to build, including the Toy-Con VR Goggles, which combine with the other creations to allow players to interact with the virtual world through imaginative real-world actions. Fend off an alien invasion with the Toy-Con Blaster, visit a colorful in-game ocean and snap photos of the sea life with the Toy-Con Camera and so much more.
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit encourages passing around the Toy-Con creations among a group of people so everyone in the room can easily join in on the fun. To help encourage this social gameplay, players simply slip the Nintendo Switch console into the Toy-Con VR Goggles and hold it up to their eyes to explore numerous games and experiences–no head strap needed.
“This new kit builds on the core tenets of Nintendo Labo–Make, Play and Discover–to introduce virtual reality in a way that’s fun and approachable for both kids and kids at heart,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We wanted to design an experience that encourages both virtual and real-world interactions among players through passing around Toy-Con creations.”
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kitt will launch in retail stores with two primary configurations, one that includes all Toy-Con creations and one that includes a smaller selection of projects to get started:
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit: Available at a suggested retail price of $79.99, the complete Nintendo Labo: VR Kit includes the Nintendo Switch software and materials to build all six Toy-Con projects–the Toy-Con VR Goggles, Toy-Con Blaster, Toy-Con Camera, Toy-Con Bird, Toy-Con Wind Pedal and Toy-Con Elephant–as well as a Screen Holder and Safety Cap. It’s a good option for kids and families who want to dive in to the full experience.
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit – Starter Set + Blaster: Available at a suggested retail price of only $39.99, the Starter Set includes the Nintendo Switch software, plus all the components to build the Toy-Con VR Goggles and Toy-Con Blaster, as well as the Screen Holder and Safety Cap. The Starter Set is a great entry point into the world of Nintendo Labo VR.
Players that own the Starter Set can purchase the following optional expansion sets to expand their experience:
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit – Expansion Set 1: Available at a suggested retail price of $19.99, Expansion Set 1 includes the Toy-Con Elephant and Toy-Con Camera.
- – Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit – Expansion Set 2: Available at a suggested retail price of $19.99, Expansion Set 2 includes the Toy-Con Wind Pedal and Toy-Con Bird.
(The two expansion sets do not include the Toy-Con VR Goggles or Nintendo Labo: VR Kit software.)
The inventive Toy-Con Garage mode – included as part of all Nintendo Labo software – returns with Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit, offering basic programming tools for players to experiment with. More information about the experiences offered by Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit will be revealed in the future.
After we had so much fun with the last set of Nintendo Labo Toy-Cons, we’re looking forward to seeing how the unrivalled creativity of Nintendo is brought to bear again. Needless to say, we’re intrigued to see whether Nintendo Labo VR will be more successful than their previous ventures into the medium.
But what do you think? Will you be giving this a try when it lands in April, or are you not sold on the Labo idea? Let us know in the comments, or on Facebook and Twitter, and check back for more coverage of this and other Japanese titles!
Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit will release in the United States and the UK on April 12th 2019.